Monday, June 20, 2005

Happy Father's Day

Hi Folks.

I'm trying to post a bit more regularly these days. We'll see how long I can keep it up.

Yesterday was Father's Day, as you probably all know. Father's Day can be a tough day for me since my own Father died from cancer back in 1992, and living far away from family, I tend to just treat it like any other day. This year, I decided that I would try to spend Father's day focusing on and spending some time with my Heavenly Father instead of focusing on the absence of my earthly father. We had some sweet time.

I thought that I'd also like to share the lyrics to a song by a Christian artist named David Meece. I've included a quote from his website about the origins of the song in his own family experience. I hope that you enjoy it.


“One of the few memories I have of my father is that he loved to sit in the same chair and watch TV after work,” David said. “However, he was also very violent and his alcoholism and abuse eventually grew to a point where he just disappeared. So, in the first verse, I talk about my father’s chair, which was empty. In the second verse I talk about ‘my’ chair and how I want my kids to see my chair as a place of love and unconditional acceptance.” Then, in the third verse, David makes the ultimate discovery. “My earthly father was not my real father at all. My ‘real’ father is my Father in heaven and He never left my side for one second. The Father’s chair - His throne in glory - is the chair that will some day draw all His children and none will be turned away.”


My Father's Chair

Sometimes at night I'd lie awake
Longing inside for my father's embrace
Sometimes at night I'd wander downstairs
And pray he'd returned, but no one was there.
Oh, how I'd cry, a child all alone
Waiting for him to come home.

Chorus:
My father's chair, sat in an empty room
My father's chair, covered with sheets of gloom
My father's chair through all the years
And all the tears I cried in vain
No one was there in my father's chair.


Sometimes at night I sit all alone
Drifting asleep in a chair of my own
When sweet sleepy eyes peer down from the hall
Frightened by dreams they cannot recall
I hold them close, calming their fears
Praying they always will say,

Chorus:
My father's chair sits in a loving room
My father's chair, no matter what I do
My father's chair, through all the years
And all the tears I need not fear
Love's always there in my father's chair.


Sometimes at night I dream of a throne
Of my loving God, calling me home
And as I appear, He rises and smiles
And reaches with love to welcome His child
Never to cry, never to fear
In His arms, safe and secure.

Chorus:
My Father's chair sits in a royal room
My Father's chair holds glory beyond the tomb
My Father's chair, my God is there
And I am His eternal heir
Someday I'll share my Father's chair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home