Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I Wish I Were Donne

Heya faithful blog readers.
I guess its been over a week, so its time to post again.
Thanks for your patience.

The title of my post today is meant to be a play on words. I'll let you ponder it's many layers of meaning.

Its most transparent aspect is the poem that follows, one of my favorite sonnets written by John Donne, and brought back to my attention because it was quoted in the book by Sinclair Ferguson that I have been reading.

Here goes... Enjoy!


Batter my heart, three personed God; for You
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow me and bend
Your force, to break, blow, burn, and make me new.

I, like an usurped town to another due,
Labor to admit You, but oh! to no end;
Reason, Your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived and proves weak or untrue.

Yet dearly I love You, and would be loved fain,
But I am betrothed unto your enemy.
Divorce me, untie, or break that knot again,
Take me to You, imprison me, for I

Except You enthrall me, never shall be free;
Nor ever chaste, except You ravish me.

1 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Cora said...

Wow. I don't know what else to say. That's an awesome poem. Thanks for sharing it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home