Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Ketchup

I had a great time at the Main Event the weekend before last. I am glad that I went. It was fun to see many old friends, to experience intense fellowship, and to be challenged from the Word. I particularly enjoyed the missions emphasis this year. I plan to spend some time in prayer over the next few weeks and months over what my place in world missions should be. We'll see where that leads.

One thing that the conference brought home to me is how much I miss being actively involved in campus ministry. I have felt a bit out of the loop this semester: not teaching, not leading prayer team, and not doing staff stuff, but I had also gotten used to my new routine and responsibilities, so I was starting to forget how much I missed certain things. Its actually been a bit hard getting back to the old routine since then, but I'll manage.

Since I've been back, I've been frantically playing catch-up on all the things that I didn't get done the three days I was gone. I'm close to back on top of the pile now, but it will probably take until Monday for me to get completely caught up.

Last weekend was the MIQRA quarterly seminar on the book of Acts. It was great. I won't even try to summarize the content now, as it was four hours of stuff, but I was particularly intrigued by some ideas shared on "intertextuality" - meaning taking our cue on Biblical interpretation from how the Bible interprets itself. We looked at a fairly thourough list of all the places where the book of Acts quotes of alludes the the OT, and how the reference reflected the NT authors understanding of the OT passage. If you ever have the opportunity to go to one these, I recomend it. The $45 dollar and 4 hour investment is well worth it.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate it if y'all would pray for my research and my efforts to discern God's will for my future beyond this year. Research had been going better, but I am at a crossroads in the process. I am also hating putting together all the resources and materials for an academic job search. The process itself is annoying, but beyond that, the reality is that I am just not very excited about the prospect of getting that sort of a job. My heart is really not in it. I read the job listings and try to picture myself doing the job described, and I think Yuck! I don't want to do that. its perplexing to say the least.

Thanks for listening (reading?) my rant.

1 Comments:

At 12:39 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

I was listening to the thoughts you wrote in my head as I read them to myself. I will pray for it. Main Event was awesome- I totally agree with your observation about the missions part!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home