Thursday, November 22, 2007

Giving Thanks

Sorry for the lack of posts. It has been a few very busy weeks. I went to a math conference in California the week before last so I had a lot of work to do beforehand to get all of my classes prepped and covered and more work last week when I got back getting caught up with grading, etc.

It is nice to be caught up and to have a few days to relax before plunging into the end of semester rush.

Since it is Thanksgiving day, I thought it would be appropriate to spend a little time reflecting on the past year. In doing so, I have been convicted with the fact that I am not naturally a very thankful person. I tend to be a bit of an idealist, so my focus tends to be more on the future than the past, and more on what is less than ideal and how to go about "fixing" them than on the numerous good things that fill my life.

I also have been thinking that our society is driven by dissatisfaction. Our whole economy is fueled ban fanning the embers of avarice and covetousness into flame and by selling the idea that our happiness is primarily a function of our ability to acquire material possessions. The media also plays upon our fears while simultaneously communicating that if we only had enough money, technology, and information then all that we fear can be held at bay.

For this reason, I believe that it is imperative that we choose to hold the line against these blatant falsehoods. We need to realize that despite the many advantages and comforts that our current society provides (which we can and should be thankful for) our identity, security, comfort, and hope lie elsewhere. I believe that we also need to make a conscious effort to refuse to fall into these prevalent patterns of thought. Instead we should work to value that which is truly valuable and we ought to cultivate a sense gratitude. Our hope and happiness lie outside of ourselves and our destiny is more than just to wring as much pleasure as possible out of this present life. We were meant for more then that, and we can experience this greater life and hope today -- and that is something to be thankful for.

2 Comments:

At 6:58 PM, Blogger Mr. E. said...

Wow! You are one thankful dude!

Whatever

 
At 8:06 PM, Blogger Mr. E. said...

As always, the fresh new content leaves me stunned and in awe.

Whatever

 

Post a Comment

<< Home