Friday, August 06, 2004

The Road Ahead

I thought I'd write a brief note this morning, since I'm going to be on the road a lot this weekend and thus will probably not be able to post. I'm headed up to Portland to spend the afternoon/evening with my folks. We'll then continue on to Seattle first thing Saturday morning so that I can visit my new niece. It will be a nice change of pace after 5 days of intensive mathematics -- well, maybe not that intensive. I could be making better use of my time in the evenings (e.g. studying my notes, spending more time working on the exercises given in lecture) but I've been really wanting to finish the Brothers Karamazov (an almost 800 page Russian novel), so I've been spending a couple of hours every evening on that instead. I just finished the last chapter this morning before breakfast. I'm still processing it, so perhaps a bit more on that later.

On the plus side, I get to start a new book. I already have a few ideas (and a few books on my shelf at home that I am supposed to read before I buy any new ones). However, I figured that I should take advantage of this new electronic medium and give all of you gracious readers the opportunity to recommend a book to add to my personal reading list. So, the gauntlet has been thrown down -- who will rise to the challenge?


4 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whazup, JJ? I didn't know that you had a blog until I saw the link on Jenny's blog. Now that you've joined the blogger world, you'll never leave. Whenever you forget to post anything for a week (or two weeks), you'll start feeling guilty. You'll think you deprived somebody of something. But anyway.... I think I have a book suggestion for you. I don't know if I ever told you about a book "Mormon America". The guy who wrote the book is a religion writer for the Associated Press. I don't know if he's a believer, but he gives a decent account on the history background of Mormonism, the current structure of Mormonism, and the evolution of Mormonism. The book's about 400 or 500 pages. I could let you borrow it if you want. You could also start reading that biography of Hudson Taylor entitled "The secret of Hudson Taylor's spiritual success" or something like that. I remember you telling me that you had an unread copy of it sitting on your bookshelf. I hope those give you some ideas. Later.

Phil

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger the jake said...

Biblical Literacy, by Rabbi Joseph Telushkin
Welcome to the Ivory Tower of Babel, by Mike Adams

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Cora said...

I recently had "Messy Spirituality" recommended to me (sorry, can't recall the author), so I think I'll make that my next book. Anyone care to read along with me and bouce ideas back and forth?

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger Justin said...

Thanks for the ideas folks.
Sounds like a pretty good list. Any other ideas floating around out there? Don't be shy.

I've already read Transforming Grace, Til We have Faces, The Grapes of Wrath, and The Cost of Discipleship, all of which I would agree are great books. A couple of the others mentioned I have heard of before (or already own and definately need to get around to reading like the Hudson Taylor one) but Biblical Literacy, Messy Spritiuality, and The Long Walk are all new to me. I'll have to add them to my reading list.

For now, I've decided to start John Piper's "The Pleasures of God" as my next read. I finished reading "Don't Waste Your Life" early this summer, and enjoyed both "Desiring God" and "A Hunger for God" when I read them a couple of years ago, plus I'm kind of in a Piper mood, whatever that means.

With any luck, I'll be mostly done with this book by the beginning of the semester, so I may choose one of your suggestions for my next read...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home